Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Podcast Blog


         In my English 101 class we had a special quest name David. David was invited to have a discussion with our class about our recent classwork. He wanted to know from each member of the class if climate change was something we have thought about prior to taking the class. He was also interested in the letter we wrote to Mayor De Blasio about climate change. He wanted to know what it said and what our argument was. He asked about the book Zeitoun we just finished reading and our experiences with Hurricane Sandy. I was not in New York at the time of Sandy, but according to David he was one of the lucky ones whose power never went out. He was able to enjoy himself by watching Netflix films while others were not so lucky. I have learned a lot in this English class and before the class I heard nothing about climate change. It was not something I thought about at all.
          I was amazed and at the same time shocked to have learned so much about the matter. It’s sad that it took having a storm like Sandy to open people’s eyes to the situation. In my letter to Mayor De Blasio I argued about the city not being prepared for climate change and mostly because the city has no knowledge of the issue. How can anyone prepare for something they know nothing about? Reading the book Zeitoun was interesting for me because it’s the kind of book you read and can’t wait to get to the end. There are many lesson we can learn from Zeitoun’s experiences. The book touched bases on military neglect and racial profiling which are major issues some people are still facing. Overall I loved the class agenda because I gained a lot of knowledge from it. It opened my eyes to many serious situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment